The spreading of coronavirus has sent us all running to stores and pharmacies to buy masks. But, many still do not know “why wearing a mask is recommended” or “what happens when we wear it”. The ignorance regarding the purpose and uses of the mask will nullify its benefits. Here, we will be discussing about masks. But before that-
What Is COVID-19?
Covid19 is a communicable disease caused by a group of viruses called Coronaviruses. These viruses affect the respiratory system causing diseases ranging from the common cold to severe diseases like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
What Are Its Symptoms?
The symptoms of COVID-19 vary from-
- Respiratory issues
- Throat pain
- Shortness of breath
- Breathing difficulties
Symptoms of mild COVID-19 are-
- Untreated mild COVID-19 will cause infections, and as a result, will also lead to pneumonia
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome
- Kidney failure
What Should You Do To Avoid COVID-19?
COVID-19 can be successfully eradicated by taking a few precautions. You can keep yourself and those around you safe by washing hands regularly, covering mouth and nose in public, covering your nose and mouth while sneezing and coughing (even if it’s just a cold), cooking meat and eggs thoroughly before eating. Most of all, avoid close contact with those showing the above-mentioned symptoms. Also, restrain from getting close to anyone in public.
Now, since we are done with the basic information, let’s talk about masks!
When Should You Use A Mask?
- Firstly, are you healthy? You should wear a mask when you are treating an infected person. If you are showing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, you are not healthy.
- You must use a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Using masks alone will not save you from getting infected. Wash your hands frequently with soap/ alcohol-based hand rub and use a sanitizer before touching your face.
- Wear a mask only after learning how to use and dispose it.
How To Use A Mask?
- Clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub/ soap before you touch the mask.
- Cover your nose and mouth completely without leaving any gaps.
- Wash your hands before you touch the mask while you are using it.
- Replace the mask if it’s damp or if it not to be re-used.
- Remove the mask from behind without touching the front, discard it in a closed bin and wash hands as said before.
So, make sure you use masks the correct way from next time. Also ensure that you buy the best face masks from stores or online.